Status of QorIQ

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jul 9 06:03:38 UTC 2015

Hello Joel,

On 09/07/15 00:46, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> I noticed the modification to qoriq_t2080rdb.cfg and wondered
> how things were going. How many cores have you all seen running?

We use all 24 cores, the roadmap for this platform is 64 cores.

> Any scaling issues?

Yes, there is a lot of work ahead. I work currently on optimized OpenMP
support. Here we have the same problems that we already observed with
the new network stack on SMP. The Classic API object identifier to
object translation is a performance problem. The object creation is a
major bottleneck (mainly due to the use of the allocator mutex) for
OpenMP which dynamically creates objects.

I have a prototype implementation for self-contained objects which may
be used for the locks etc. in Newlib, GCC and the network stack (see
attached file), but this is something for post 4.11.

On the positive side is the low level stuff, the scheduler and thread
dispatching works really well.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de