Beagle bsp improvements RTC driver for beaglebone black

ragu nath ragunath3252 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:21:09 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I was exploring the beagle code base to find a task to get hands on
experience with RTEMS internals. I found that "Real time Clock (RTC)" support is
missing for beaglebone. I made the effort to add the driver for the device.
Included the patch for the driver. RTEMS already have a RTC framework.
I defined the necessary structures to hook the driver to the framework.

Enabled the driver by defining the macro
"CONFIGURE_APPLICATION_NEEDS_RTC_DRIVER" and tested the following.
Testing is done from the shell using "date" and "rtc" commands.
1. Able to read the time from rtc.
2. Able to set the time
3. Time values are preserved between reboots

Pls review the patch and let me know if you have any comments.

I have following doubts

1. The support is applicable only to beaglebone black. It is not valid
for beagleboard. Both of them seem to have same codebase.  Is there any compile
time flags available to not compile the driver for beagleboard?
2. What is procedure to commit the change (In case the patch is
accepted)? Do we need to open a bug to track the changes?

Thanks,
Ragunath