RTEMS Timeline Update and 25th Anniversary of First Public Commit

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Apr 14 13:40:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:47 AM Christian Mauderer <
christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> Hello Joel,
>
> On 07/04/2020 22:44, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The RTEMS Project is rapidly approaching a major milestone -- the 25th
> > anniversary of the oldest commit in the git repository! That occurs on 4
> > May 2020!
> >
> > Before that time, the source code was managed on an internal research
> > project repository and snapshots/releases made available via ftp. I know
> > I started with the project in July 1989 and was coding nearly from the
> > first day.
> >
> > With this in mind, the https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/History/Timeline is
> > sorely out of date and lacking missing entries. Multiple mission
> > launches, addition of SMP, GSoC, GCI, and SOCIC participation, move to
> > OSU OSL, incorporation of RTEMS Foundation, scientific discoveries like
> > the particle discovered by an Atlas detector at CERN or the famous gamma
> > ray burst from Fermi. All are missing.
> >
> > Please pitch in and help. If you want to help but don't have any ideas,
> > just post back and I will try to follow up with ideas that someone else
> > can put a date on.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --joel
>
> I added some small stuff (start of SMP work, main work, release numbers)
> based on the git history (see
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/History/Timeline?action=diff&version=27&old_version=25
> ).

Thanks! That's a good set of information.

> Although I'm terribly bad with dates: You said you would try to follow
> up with ideas. If you have any where I might could help, please let me
> know.

How about these (random and before coffee/tea)

+ Any cool non-space programs folks can admit to?
+ First submission from some core developers.
    - Chris was second submitter and is in the 91-92 timeframe. We don't
remember.
    - Thomas first shows up in git in March 1998.
    - Sebastian gets a nod in July 2008. :)
+ When were some ports added?
+ When were some interesting/popular BSPs added: Zyng, Leon3, gba, etc
    - FWIW the original PC BSP was based on DJ Delorie's go32 and pre-dates
      the git history. I did that on a single PC (486 with 32 MB RAM). I
couldn't run
      X11 and compile at the same time. I had to reboot to test. Yes it was
uphill
      both ways back in those days. :)
+ When were some of the original ports/BSPs removed?
   - mvme135/136 was first BSP
   - i386 was second port
   - i960 was last of original 3 ports
+ Interesting features? Like libnetworking, libbsd, shell, dynamic loading?
+ The Cygnus floppy mailing:
    https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/

This may be good as a small tasks ticket where people cross things off
as they get added.

It is amazing how much this has prodded my memory.  :)

--joel