#2920 -> #3515

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 28 17:47:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM Bran S <archsbran at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am new to rtems. Looking to solve some issues to get familiar with
> the project.
> While going through the ticket list I found issue #3515. I would like
> to solve this.

Welcome onboard!

> Background Work:
> Following the quick-start guide I have built rtems5 and rsb. Ran the
> 600 tests on
> BSP erc32 of which 5 tests failed, namely:
> dl06.exe
> dl09.exe
> terminos09.exe
> psxfenv01.exe
> psxmsgq03.exe

I can't speak to them all off the top of my head but psxfenv01.exe is an
expected fail at this point because there is no implementation of POSIX
fenv.h for SPARC yet.

psxmsgq03 may have broken due to the recent error code change and it
just got missed.

> Then I ran `hello.exe` using the command `sparc-rtems5-gdb hello.exe`
> inside gdb.
> But when I did `target sim` it displayed (Undefined target command: "sim")
> As a workaround, using `sparc-rtems5-sis` to run hello.exe worked.
> As mentioned in getting started section I have made changes to the
> hello.c file and they are working fine.

Can you post a link to the offending content? Or file a ticket?

sis was recently split out of gdb and is a standalone simulator that
supports SPARC and RISC-V. It is quite improved as a simulator but
RTEMS documentation has always (since 1995) used it as the easiest
BSP to run code for. So there are potentially many places this is described
that are now out of date for the master.

I had to update the RTEMS class I teach to show how it used to be and how it
is now.

> Now regarding #3515:
> For covoar: I cloned https://git.rtems.org/rtems-tools/
> This is my directory structure:
> $HOME/quick-start/src/rtems - Main RTEMS repo
> $HOME/quick-start/src/rsb - Source Builder
> $HOME/quick-start/src/rtems-tools - The one that I have recently cloned
>
> But running `rtems-test --list-bsps` inside
> '$HOME/quick-start/src/rtems-tools'
> gives "error: RTEMS Toolkit python wrapper not found, plrease report"
>
> Any ideas on how to resolve this error ?

I'm leaving this one to someone else.

> Two more queries:
> 1) rtems-test is also present in the tool-suite, at
> $HOME/quick-start/rtems/5/bin
>     Running `rtems-test` in the tool-suite also gives the same error
> of RTEMS toolkit python wrapper not found.
>     Are these two rtems-test scripts (this one and the one in
> rtems-tools) same or different ?

One is the binary before it is installed. The one in
$HOME/quick-start/rtems/5/bin
is the installed copy.

> 2) Same is the case for covoar. It is present at both places
> '$HOME/quick-start/rtems/5/share/rtems/tester/bin/covoar' and also
> inside rtems-tools.

Ditto

> Does this mean that rtems-tools is not required ?

It does include tools related to the dynamic loading which would be
required to build the RTEMS tests. If you run tests by hand, then
you won't need rtems-tester.

Most of the contents of rtems-tools will be needed in a normal
workflow. Likely not covoar unless you work with coverage.

--joel