NULL for return by reference values: error or ignore?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Mar 23 17:36:02 UTC 2021

Hello,

we have a couple of directives which set something and return the
previous value, for example rtems_task_mode() and
rtems_task_set_priority(). The value is returned through a pointer
parameter. If this pointer is NULL, then the directives do nothing and
just returns an error status. Why don't we simply not return a value in
this case, so that you can set the task priority via
rtems_task_set_priority(id, priority, NULL)?

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de