Need community suggestions for a new generic GPIO API

Utkarsh Verma utkarsh at bitbanged.com
Fri Jul 7 19:48:19 UTC 2023

Dear all,

While working on the Raspberry Pi 4 BSP, I realized that the GPIO API
could be improved. It seems that last year, a GSoC student worked on
introducing a new GPIO API, called GPIO2 to RTEMS. However, it did not
get merged. Discussing this topic with my mentor and on RTEMS Discord
revealed that it would be a good idea to get it merged. For that, I
would like to ask the community the following:

- Moving forward, will GPIO2 API be the community-preferred GPIO API?
- What would be the recommended way in this new API to select
alternate pin functions? Will that be left for the BSP to decide?

Here are the links associated with GPIO2:
Git Repo: https://github.com/dtbpkmte/GSoC-2022-RTEMS
GPIO2 commit: https://github.com/dtbpkmte/GSoC-2022-RTEMS/commit/0aec268f1209c
Blog post about the API:
https://medium.com/@dtbpkmte/gsoc-2022-rtems-coding-period-week-4-gpio-wiki-1f10e5c4458