style patches - discuss

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Jul 25 21:41:13 UTC 2023

I have sent two initial patches to begin the style reformat. The
clang-format file is not quite 100%, and it's also not usable by
anyone else (as I wait for changes to be accepted upstream).

A few things to note:
* We can always manually override style with good reason. If you see
something like that in a patch, please let me know.
* I have started to avoid changing the __asm __ ... blocks, as
clang-format doesn't do a great job with those at the moment.
* clang-format also doesn't know how to indent broken if/for loops
like we prefer. So i may need to continue manual intervention on those
until I can get around to teaching it how. I believe that is doable,
but will take me some time to implement and get upstream.
* clang-format also has a preference to break function declarations
differently than we do. It will prefer to break after the function
return type/decorators, rather than in the parameter list. This may be
something we can tune. For now, I fix this manually.

I may prepare a few more patches tomorrow, but I will leave these two
for the time being for feedback.

Gedare