[rtems commit] libdl: Add support to import base image TLS symbols

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Sep 14 07:20:52 UTC 2023

On 14.09.23 09:12, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 14/9/2023 4:55 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 14.09.23 08:34, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> This seems to break the mips build:
>>>
>>> cpukit/libdl/rtl-tls.c:104:2: error: #error unsupported architecture
>>>     104 | #error unsupported architecture
>>>         |  ^~~~~
>>>
>> Also the moxie and 64-bit powerpc (qoriq_e6500_64) no longer build with the
>> error above.
> Yes. It was decided this be a hard error so it gets fixed. The newlib TLS change
> broke libdl and it is being fixed for the release. I have done what I can and
> know about but some archs need help from those who know about it.

An intentionally broken build is not really helpful. There are also
other bugs left to fix, for example:

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4953

How can I check if my patches break the build if it is already broken?

> I am not sure about moxie, if it does not have TLS support it can disabled.

moxie and mips don't have TLS support.

> The issue I faced was no score interface to get the TLS base for a thread to
> determine a symbol's offset. If we had that and something to say if TLS is
> supported libdl would be easy to fix.

Why don't we add this interface if it simplifies things?

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de