[RFC] generic CAN/CAN FD susbsytem for RTEMS from scratch - online documentation

Christian MAUDERER christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Tue Apr 30 06:53:14 UTC 2024

Hello Michal,

On 2024-04-29 22:48, Michal Lenc wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> thank you a lot for the review.

Thank you for your work.

> In addition to Pavel Píša's reply, I
> have updated the documentation to provide (hopefully) a better description.
>
> https://otrees.pages.fel.cvut.cz/rtems/rtems-canfd/doc/can/can-html/can.html

Thank you. I did take a look on some of the sections where I had some
open questions, and it's already much clearer now.

> I plan to enhance it further, I write it in parallel with my diploma
> thesis at the moment and sometimes I have the text already written in
> one document and not in the other one. So thank you for pointing out the
> parts where the description was not clear. I will address the changes in
> can_chip structure later this week.

Take your time.

> Regarding future CAN controllers, I hope we will find some time and
> resources for the implementation of SJA1000 controller to our stack.
> Another interesting controller from our side would be MCAN since we have
> some projects with SAMv7 MCU. But those are more long term goals.

If that's the SAMV71 or SAME70 family: Be very careful with that
controller and take a very thorough look at the Errata before you plan
to use it in some productive system. It has some really horrible bugs.
The worst ones that I encountered was that

1. I couldn't use SDRAM and USB at the same time because the SDRAM added
a lot of jitter to the USB PLL.

2. Sometimes a conditioned branch instruction did take the wrong path (I
verified the whole register values and assembly code multiple times
before believing that it really happened).

I followed the errata quite some time. First there were more and more
bugs related to SDRAM. Finally, Microchip just told that you should not
use the SDRAM at all and removed the SDRAM chapter from the reference
manual.

Of course, you can use the chip. But again: I would strongly recommend
taking a really detailed look at the errata sheets for all peripherals
that you plan to use.

Best regards

Christian

embedded brains GmbH & Co. KG