[RTEMS Tools 0/1] trace/wscript: Improve C++ standard selection

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jan 22 21:56:49 UTC 2024

On 22/1/2024 6:18 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 22.01.24 00:47, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 22/1/2024 3:42 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> Does XCode ship a Symbolize.h and llvm-config?
>>
>> No ...
>>
>> % uname -a
>> Darwin weka.contemporary.net.au 23.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 23.2.0: Wed Nov 15
>> 21:55:06 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.61.3~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6020 arm64
>> % c++ -v
>> Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.1.0.2.5)
>> Target: arm64-apple-darwin23.2.0
>> Thread model: posix
>> InstalledDir:
>> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
>> % type llvm-config
>> llvm-config not found
>> % find
>> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain
>> -name Symbolize.h
>> %
>
> Ok, thanks for checking. It seems that using the LLVM from brew is then the
> right approach.

I have stated for years now we will not depend on brew or macports for building
RTEMS tools. Those distro packagers are rolling releases. Also what about MacPorts?

FYI when I first moved to Macs and I starting building native tools with
macports then brew and gave up. At the time our tool versions exposed issues in
their tools and updates broke working things and exposed new issues till the
point I found myself attempting to fix issue is those distros. Xcode tools just
worked and have done so for 20+ years.

> Can I check in the patch now?

If the changes does not build for me without brew or macports then I am a no.