Executive shutdown

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 6 20:39:11 UTC 2004

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> brian wrote:
>
>> Joel,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply,
>>
>> As part of my studies I am looking at the reuse of an application
>> that was
>> crafted directly to a processor and looking at how it could be moved
>> to a
>> more modern platform. Because of the close coupling possible it usd a
>> 2ms
>> interrupt to drive it.
>

> With anything but POSIX signals, 2 milliseconds wouldn't be a big deal.
> A more proper RTEMS solution would be to switch to Classic API Events
> and set up a server task to receive them.  Much lower overhead.

I agree with this using my own application as an example. I am using a
40MHz 386sx processor and at times receive interrupts at 230us for
periods of up to 20 minutes. When I did my stress test, I actually ran
it over a 24hour period. RTEMS powered right through it with no drama.
BTW, I had my system configured for 1000us per tick. I have to admit, my
thread that processed the received data from the interrupt took ages to
empty the queue that held the data received (I have a dynamic buffer of
10K for this purpose). RTEMS, however, had no problem receiving this
number of interrupts

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859