Question about bochs/qemu and booting pc386 BSPs

jonathan.kalbfeld at gmail.com jonathan.kalbfeld at gmail.com
Mon May 22 04:05:47 UTC 2006

Hello,

I really wanted to thank everyone who has been so helpful to me in
getting RTEMS to build.

I actually went ahead, built a pure 4.0.1 GCC, then built a bunch of
toolchains with binutils 2.16.1, GCC 4.0.1 with Joel's patches and GDB
6.4 with same patches.  I was able to build RTEMS 4.6.99.3 which is
perfect for learning this.

I am interested in finding out how to boot one of the pc386 .exe's in
QEMU or in bochs or gxemul.  I settled on i386 since I've got QEMU
0.7.0 (just a pkgadd from blastwave, so no sparc, powerpc, or arm
emulation available :-( ) and it's fast.

 I don't have access to a Linux machine so I can't necessarily build
grub.  I'm building this on a Sun Ultra 420R with Solaris 10.

Is there anything I can use that will basically make an RTEMS .exe
"bootable" to run it in qemu?  I can't imagine it's very difficult.
Is there an RTEMS bootloader?  Does someone want to write one? :-)  I
can build the posix ones and run them natively from Solaris but I
actually want to see it boot inside an emulator with my own eyes.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there an RTEMS UG in the Los Angeles area.  Anyone interested
in starting one?

jonathan

Jonathan Kalbfeld
+1 323 620 6682