A simple question about porting rtems to a new BSP

Fri Aug 29 03:41:19 UTC 2008

Tim Cussins wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 21:38 +0800, PowerMan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>        I am working for a IC company. My work is porting rtems to
>> vt3421.
>> VT3421 is a security chip based on arm926ej-s. That chip is designed
>> by my company.
>>
>>        I create 2 directory:
>> rtems-4.7.3/c/src/lib/libcpu/arm/vt3421
>> rtems-4.7.3/c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/vt3421-board
>>

> Hi PowerMan.
>
> RTEMS has extensive documentation:
>
> http://www.rtems.com/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/
>

> The doc you might want to look through is:
>
> RTEMS BSP and Device Driver Development Guide

I have been trying to update it before the branch occurs.
Please send any comments against the CVS version.

The Makefile and initialization chapters have largely
been rewritten in the past two weeks.
> You'll probably kick off by copying the folder (& contents) for a bsp that uses the same processor, then tweak as required.

This is the right general approach but just to make sure
this is heard...

I hope everyone is aware that we hate to duplicate code.
Start out this way but be careful to minimize changes.
If you end up with the same file or very minimal changes to one,
let's find a place to relocate the file and make it as sharable
as possible

Unnecessary code proliferation in BSPs is a painful thing
for long term maintenance.  Please help push back at it.