QEmu, RTEMS and pc386 target

Marcelo Coelho marcelocoelho at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:33:41 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'm trying to setup a test system composed by two nodes (A and B),
which should run in different machines (two QEmu instances).

Right now I'm trying to setup the netdemo from RTEMS NetDemos 4.8.0
with no success. I have found out a lot of pages stating it works, but
I haven't been able to avoid an error that appears as soon as the test
begins:

Uploading NE2000 packet
vStatus 0xff while waiting for acknowledgment of the uploaded packet
NE2000 status 0xff (8259 enabled: yes; mask: FEF8)
*ne_init_hardware()
*Network initialized

I have changed RTEMS code of the ne2k driver, replacing the #IRQ 3
with 9, and the ioport 0x0300 with 0xc100 with no luck.

I've setup two TAP devices (tap0 and tap1) and bridged them together
with the following /etc/network/interfaces file content:

# bridges are also logical ethernet cards
# give the bridge the ip-settings from eth0
iface br0 inet static
address 10.0.2.2
broadcast 10.0.2.255
netmask 255.255.252.0
network 10.0.2.0
gateway 10.0.2.1 # my local router ??
#special bridge settings

bridge_fd 1
bridge_stp on
bridge_hello 1
# special commands to handle ifdown
down ifconfig br0 down
post-down brctl delbr br0

# Two tap devices
auto tap0 tap1

iface tap0 inet manual
pre-up tunctl -t $IFACE
pre-up brctl addif br0 $IFACE
up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
down ifconfig $IFACE down
down brctl delif br0 $IFACE
down tunctl -d $IFACE

iface tap1 inet manual
pre-up tunctl -t $IFACE
pre-up brctl addif br0 $IFACE
up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
down ifconfig $IFACE down
down brctl delif br0 $IFACE
down tunctl -d $IFACE

I'm using the networkconfig-qemu.h file.

I'm using the following command to start RTEMS in qemu:
/usr/bin/qemu -boot a -m 128 -fda '/home/bruno/Desktop/rtems-boot.img'
-hda 'fat:/home/bruno/rtems_disk' -net nic,vlan=0 -net tap,vlan=0,fd=0
-localtime

I can't say where my problem is located, so any help would very appreciated.

Best regards,
Marcelo Coelho