rtems_filesystem_operations_table::lock_h/unlock_h questions

Stella Laurenzo laurenzo at google.com
Mon Dec 19 21:37:16 UTC 2016

Following up on this question on behalf of Radu, I can infer the following
"rules" for locking:

   - External locking is applied only to operations which span individual
   calls into the file system and must remain consistent. This seems to be
   done in only a handful of cases (which make sense but I can't attest to
   whether they are the only ones that should have external locking applied).
   These are all results of calling rtems_filesystem_instance_lock():
      - path evaluation in libcsupport/src/sup_fs_eval_path.c. I have not
      audited the correctness of this code but it seems to (be trying
to) acquire
      locks as it traverses across each file system boundary.
      - fchdir() while performing an access check that spans two fs calls
      - fchown() for similar reasons
      - rtems_filesyste_location_free() when calling into the
      ops->freenod_h entry point.
   - The filesystem access lock can be acquired recursively.
   - Individual rtems_filesystem_operations_table entry points should guard
   their own internal state via locking as appropriate.

I inferred the last point from looking at other drivers and the libio entry
points, which make no effort to externally acquire the filesystem lock
unless if they need it for their own consistency requirements. I'm left to
conclude that the RFS implementation is just missing internal locking and
should have it.

Does anyone have context on this issue that would indicate otherwise?