RTEMS 5.1 Release LibBSD Networking Issue

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Nov 9 00:17:05 UTC 2020

On 6/11/20 2:19 am, rvanderwal wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I seem to be having an issue with RTEMS 5.1 Release Libbsd networking when I
> include my own 'rtems_bsd_get_mac_address' function as described in
> rtemsbsd/include/rtems/bsd/bsd.h. I'm running on a Xilinx Microzed using
> xilinx_zynq_zedboard BSP and have a minimal RTEMS console application (source
> code included below). The rc.conf file configures the cgem0 interface and starts
> FTP and telnet daemons.
>
> If I include the 'rtems_bsd_get_mac_address' function, the mac address is set
> but RTEMS doesn't respond to any pings and doesn't allow any connections.
> However, a ping to an external device from RTEMS is successful. I have run
> tcpdump filtering on ICMP messages and RTEMS sees them.
>
> If I comment out the 'rtems_bsd_get_mac_address' function, it has the default
> mac address and everything works as expected.
>
> All guidance and help are greatly appreciated.

I have commented in the code fragments below.

> Thanks,
> Rick
>

> //
> // RTEMS_Main.c
> //
> #include <bsp.h>
> #include <assert.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <rtems/ramdisk.h>
> #include <rtems/printer.h>
> #include <rtems/stackchk.h>
> #include <rtems/bsd/bsd.h>
> #include <rtems/media.h>
> #include <machine/rtems-bsd-rc-conf.h>
> #include <rtems/ftpd.h>
>
> #include <rtems/console.h>
> #include <rtems/shell.h>
>
> #include <stdint.h>
>
> void rtems_bsd_get_mac_address(const char* name, int unit, uint8_t mac_addr[6])
> {
>     mac_addr[0] = 0x0f;
>     mac_addr[1] = 0xc0;
>     mac_addr[2] = 0xcb;
>     mac_addr[3] = 0x6f;
>     mac_addr[4] = 0xcb;
>     mac_addr[5] = 0x22;
> }

Interesting, I did not know this existed. I prefer following the same process
FreeBSD provides and uses. See below.

> static void start_console(void)
> {
>     rtems_status_code sc = rtems_shell_init(
>         "SHLL",
>         32 * 1024,
>         1,
>         CONSOLE_DEVICE_NAME,
>         true,
>         true,
>         NULL
>     );
>     assert(sc == RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL);
> }
>
> static void network_init(void)
> {
>     printf("BSD\n");
>     rtems_status_code sc = rtems_bsd_initialize();
>     assert(sc == RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL);
>
>     sc = rtems_task_wake_after( 1000 );
>     assert(sc == RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL);
>
>     printf("Config\n");
>     // configure bsd networking by specifying configuration file, wait forever,
> verbose = true
>     rtems_bsd_run_rc_conf("/media/mmcsd-0-0/rc.conf", 0, true);

I suggest specifying the MAC address for the interface in rc.conf. For a Zync I
have something like:

ifconfig_cgem0="DHCP rxcsum txcsum"
ifconfig_cgem0_alias0="ether 0f:c0:cb:6f:cb:22"

I generate the rc.conf file writing it to /etc/rc.conf. This lets me read a MAC
address from what ever piece of hardware has been placed on the board.

Chris