Python problems on OS X

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Nov 17 20:00:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 3:19 AM Andrew Butterfield
<Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie> wrote:

> I keep getting a python error when trying to build the tool suite on
> OS X. The end of the error log is:
>
> ```
> checking whether to use python... /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
> checking for python... no
> configure: error: no usable python found at /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python2
> make[1]: *** [configure-gdb] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> shell cmd failed: /bin/sh -ex  /Users/butrfeld/REPOS/esa-qual/modules/rsb/rtems/build/sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-1/do-build
> error: building sparc-rtems6-gdb-0295dde-x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0-1
>
> ```
>
> What are the criteria for python to be "useable"?
>
> I have removed all traces of non-native (brew) pythons that I can find.

Just a guess, sometimes there are separate user-facing python
environments vs system-level python that can be interfaced from
programs to call-out to python. I've seen that error raised more often
as "Unable to find Python.h" but I'm thinking maybe it is a similar
issue here. The linux distros package separately python and python-dev
(or similar) to allow linking to Python from other languages. You
might need to look for something similar for Mac maybe?