About runnning RTEMS on qemu

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed May 19 20:28:32 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:45 AM Richi Dubey <richidubey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not have access to a real board, and I wanted to run a test on
> different architectures (or bsps) over qemu to see if there is anything
> amiss with the test.
>
> So, I ran the SMP test that I developed on realview_pbx_a9_qemu (arm), but
> I want to test on a few more boards/debuggers. Can you please suggest to me
> bsps that you work right out of the box on qemu for a SMP system(without
> needing much configuration):
>
> Have you guys tried one of these recently?
>  a53_lp64_qemu                aarch64

Eventually but right now aarch64 does not have SMP support.

>  lm3s6965_qemu               arm

I don't think this particular ARM variant has SMP support in hardware.

>  xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu       arm

This should work.

A sufficiently high pc BSP variant should also work on qemu.

>  qemuprep                     powerpc
>  qemuprep-altivec             powerpc
>  qemuppc                      powerpc

The real hardware didn't support SMP but worse, these qemu models are
marked for removal and I don't know that I ever knew how to use them. I
vaguely recall having to have a boot ROM image but that memory may
be flawed.

> Can I use sparc leon3 and use sis/gdb as well for a SMP test?

leon3 should do SMP on sis (but not the one in gdb which is now disabled)
as well as when using qemu.

Jiri's standalone sis is nice for leon and riscv SMP.

--joel