How can I add LDFLAGS for bsp build?

DAVE ERICKSON daveerickson at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 22 16:40:57 UTC 2022

Hi Joel;

BTW RTEMS uses GNU autotools differently in that it configures in one folder/directory and the builds targets into another folder is a very rare way of using autotools. I know this because I have downloaded and reviewed over 5000 open source projects for my new book.

Funny because the core GNU tools like gcc, binutils, gdb plus newlib all allow out of tree builds.

It may be rare to use it this way but it works and leaves your source directory with no build artifacts.

It also allows having multiple builds from the same source tree simultaneously.

It's not an indictment of the RTEMS use of GNU Autotools that you build out of the configured folder. I am not sure why stating a truth may be offensive?

It was never a touchy point I was making, it was that for the purposes of debugging you can't use the online advice that people suggest to fix RTEMS configuration problems because the "build setup"
(configuring in one folder, bulding targets in another) is not the TYPICAL way OTHERS use the GNU Autotools. So file finding in PATH searching works with different options.

BQ_BEGIN

Most GNU autotools projects configure IN THE FOLDER that they want to compile and archive source code. That's one reason why the problems of diagnosing RTEMS build configurations are harder.

BQ_END

This is not required for autotools. It is just the default instructions.

When I read this I first thought I was talking to Richard Stallman. (LOL)

BQ_BEGIN

Setting explicit file locations with absolute directories is a way to workaround the problems.

Cheers!

Daemondave on github

Check out my new book Untrapped Value on LeanPub: [ https://leanpub.com/untrappedvalue | https://leanpub.com/untrappedvalue ]

BQ_END