CONFIGURE_MINIMUM_TASK_STACK_SIZE

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Dec 7 21:48:26 UTC 2011

On 8/12/11 5:39 AM, Gedare Bloom wrote:

> CONFIGURE_MINIMUM_TASK_STACK_SIZE can be defined by an application to
> increase the size of all of its task stacks (and implicitly the init
> task and interrupt stacks). It seems wrong/wasteful to propagate the
> user-defined CONFIGURE_MINIMUM_TASK_STACK_SIZE to both the idle and
> interrupt stacks, perhaps these should be CPU_STACK_MINIMUM_SIZE
> unless defined by the user explicitly?

What does a minimum stack size mean ?

I have always assumed this setting provides enough stack so the tests
could run across a number of platforms. I do not use it in any
applications I develop.

Yes it would seem to be wasteful for idle. The init task is tricky
because static constructors run on it. If you use the BSP init code in
bsp/shared where your entry point is main the network stack maybe
started. There is also the implicit stack in the BSP context that starts
RTEMS. These all require the user's involvement to make sure they are
big enough.