rtems-libbsd test link01 explanation

Wed Apr 18 13:45:54 UTC 2012

Hi,

I wanted to pass along a description of testsuite/link01
in rtems-libbsd. It is a bit of an odd test. It deliberately
attempts to pull in the two PCI [1] NIC drivers (Realtek 8139
and Intel fxp) we are trying to get working as the base
set of drivers in the new TCP/IP stack.[2]

It then attempts to link an executable but the list of
undefined symbols from ld isn't a complete list of
the undefined symbols. There is a separate link with
a "-r" against the library. and that is used to produce
complete list of undefined symbols. That list is in
undefined.txt.

As of this morning, there are 17 undefined symbols.

After the undefined symbols are addressed, then we
have to worry about initializing the stack and if the
RTEMS versions of BSD support routines are adequate.

[1] Looking at PCI only for now because ISA NICs pull
in another chunk of code with its own undefined symbols,
etc. It wasn't in the scope.

[2] Currently more drivers are compiled but we are
not looking at what undefined symbols result from pulling
them in. Some will likely link already. Others may pull
a thread.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985