rtems/irq.h ISR signature

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Apr 17 04:32:29 UTC 2012

On 04/17/2012 01:41 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I buried a question at the bottom of that last email
> but since Gedare is all over the place using rtems_isr,
> I wanted to bring it to the foreground.

I wish him luck, but I am not convinced this attempt will be a success.

Last time something similar had been tried, the attempt got stuck in
lack of generality of the types being used and in regressions such
generalizations would cause on certain architectures (Remember the
discussions on ISR handler args and ISR handler return types some years
ago, primarily related to the powerpc).

This had led RTEMS to continue using arch-specific types for ISRs.

In front of this background, I feel the current campaign still lacks a
proof of generality.

> rtems/irq.h uses void as the return type from an IRQ
> handler. This is the same thing as rtems_isr on the
> Simple Vectored interrupts.
>
> What about using rtems_isr all the time as the return
> type?

I don't think it's possible to answer this at this point in time.

Ralf