GCC Version Questions

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Apr 27 09:47:04 UTC 2012

On 04/27/2012 11:32 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 03:22 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> And why is arm-rtems NOT eabi yet?
>> ?!?
>>
>> As mentioned several times before, with GCC-4.7.0, Upstream GCC
>> abandoned all
>> "arm" targets and now is only supporting "arm-*eabi*" target.
>
> So why do we still ship these obsolete so called arm-elf target?

arm-elf is dead for upstream gcc >= 4.7.0, but is not dead for RTEMS.

It is legacy to RTEMS users and precaution/fallback option in case this
overly hasty rush towards arm-eabi shots back.

> This arm-elf has no future. This arm-elf and arm-eabi are no
> alternatives.
Right, arm-eabi is the only option for gcc >= 4.7.0,
but it is not the only option for other versions of gcc and not for
other versions of RTEMS.

> The arm-elf is dead. Users have to use arm-eabi if they
> want to use a recent tool chain.

_If_, here you say it.

Or differently:
Do _you_ (Sebastian) want to force the RTEMS-4.11 users to using
arm-eabi and tell them the target they have been using in their products
for years will now face a sudden death?

Not much of a problem to me :-)

Ralf