[rtems commit] New.

Fri Aug 3 13:37:41 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 10:05 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> why do we all have this single commits with this simple "New." commit message?
>    If I had added the generated files, then I would have added them all in a
> single commit.  Before this I would have placed this commit on a private branch
> for review.
>
> You work now on a release branch.  I don't think there was sufficient
> discussion about this change.  As far as I am aware you are the only person in
> favor of adding the generated files.
>
> This is not a simple change.  It adds a lot of files.  It changes also a
> practice in RTEMS that was there for several years now.  That is no generated
> files in the repository (one exception is the preinstall.am).

It also impacts at least the following:

+ user documentation, tutorials, wikis, etc.
+ bandwidth requirements for rtems.org and users
+ disk space requirements for rtems.org and users

This change could have happened any time in the past 15 years.
Projects using every other source code control system have
at one time placed generated files in their tree. We stuck with
not doing it and built up years of practice expecting a bootstrap.

I personally do not care whether they are in or out technically.
That is a community decision.

What I do care about is the utter abuse of process and community
reflected in how this major change was committed with no discussion,
review, patch squashing, etc.

I am sorry Ralf but this is another example where I have to question
your judgement on knowing when it is OK to make a change with
or without discussion. You have repeatedly thrust controversial
changes on the project with no discussion.  If anyone else had done
this, you would have publicly flogged them.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985