Git Cleanup and Unfreezing

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Aug 6 17:24:34 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 07:16 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
>> On 08/06/2012 06:37 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The general consensus has been to remove the generated
>>> files from the repo.
>>
>> Whose decision? Please give the each individual's names.
>>
> It is easier to say who did not agree. You are the only one who
> dissented. Everyone else either consented or did not care either way.

Well, it's very clear to me that nobody, of those who replied actually
has tried it nor understood why I had commited this to RTEMS.

>>> I am about to do a backup of the repo and Gedare has offered
>>> to do the git work. I really appreciate him offering to do this
>>> as OAR is in the middle of an office update which includes
>>> new paint and carpet.  Getting things cleared out to be ready
>>> has been very disruptive the past two weeks.
>>>
>>> Hopefully controversial patches will
>>
>> I am not willing to tolerate this step - A step I consider to be technically
>> silly and driven by lack of expertise and understanding of the this
>> "consensing annonymous crowd".
>>
>> Expect me to take radical consquences to in protect to your actions.
>>
> This is in fact a hostile remark.
Take this as you want to ... It's the result of a long history of
hostilities I am experiencing from some people whom as I believe are
running down RTEMS.

>   I hope you will be able to get over
> this initial reaction. I'm sure it is a little bit of a shock, but in
> the end we will hopefully get a useful discussion about whether we
> should include generated files or not in the repository, whether we
> should start to provide release snapshots for users, or carry on with
> simply mandating that users apply bootstrap and be certain to have the
> updated tools.

It's not a shock reaction - I was expecting this kind of act of childish
and despotice violence and was prepared for it.

Ralf