Makefile question

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Aug 6 19:05:50 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 05:38 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> That seems like a build-system legacy from times when you might build
> o-optimize, o-debug...

Correct, these were the so-called "build-variants", pre-automake-RTEMS
once had supported and had abandoned since them (ca. 10 years+).

As the "legacy"-Makefile fragments have to stay "backward compatible" ad
infinitum, they need to carry around this kind of balast ad infinitum

> I don't know the answer to your question :)
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Alexandru-Sever Horin
> <alex.sever.h at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a quick question.
>>
>> why after including in a makefile:
>>
>> include $(RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH)/Makefile.inc
>> # The following picks up LDFLAGS, etc for this BSP
>> include $(RTEMS_CUSTOM)
>>
>> the variable is $ARCH=o-optimize

No, the value corresponding the to 10+ abandoned "legacy" is "o-optimize".

My answer to your question would be: Don't worry/care about this "legacy
stuff" and use your own, preferred style of make/build system.

Ralf