[rtems commit] libcsupport: Add and use rtems_putc()

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Aug 20 09:52:33 UTC 2012

On 08/20/2012 11:23 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 08/20/2012 10:08 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Module:    rtems
>> Branch:    master
>> Commit:    bd5a138629771ae174927791fcc7515232a0e4fa
>> Changeset:
>> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=bd5a138629771ae174927791fcc7515232a0e4fa
>>
>> Author:    Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>
>> Date:      Mon Aug 13 11:29:13 2012 +0200
>>
>> libcsupport: Add and use rtems_putc()
>>
>> This reduces code size and provides a function similar to fputc().
>
> Such additions need very detailed descriptions and documentation.
>
> In this case, you need to describe why this function exists and how it is
> different from an ordinary "putc",

There was a discussion about this last week on the mailing list and IRC.

http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2012-August/001585.html
http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2012-August/001598.html

> That said, I don't know what this function does, how it is different from putc

void rtems_putc(char c)
{
   (*BSP_output_char)(c);
}

> ... and why you are introducing it at all. My gut feeling is, this function
> should not exist.

As the commit message says, to reduce code space.  Function calls via a
function pointer usually need more op-codes than a direct function call.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de