Pregenerated files: repo freeze and discourse

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Aug 2 19:30:07 UTC 2012

I have brought some slightly bit-rotted work up-to-date so I can
better evaluate how generated files affect patches.

Here is a commit as it would exist without generated files:
http://git.rtems.org/gedare/rtems.git/commit/?h=setvec2&id=d97b3a2533e30aa179a4325242b2e50e57dc7b07

Here is the commit that results from generating files:
http://git.rtems.org/gedare/rtems.git/commit/?h=setvec2&id=2cc4cd3cfd47d6c12f229a5e2369273ed87c91e3

Note that the commit of just auto-gen files is twice the size of the first.

In practice we should make the generated files commit together with
the changes to the sources so that we have atomic changesets and a
consistent build practice. So here is the commit that is the "right"
way to do it with autogenerated files as far as I can tell:
http://git.rtems.org/gedare/rtems.git/commit/?h=setvec3&id=991574b281b178d9247cd1d50615c2cd883c5b13

This changeset was bad enough to review and maintain before including
generated files, with lots of minor changes through the bsp build
tree, and now to get an atomic change we should also interleave
generated files with source modifications.

So, who is going to sift through the muck to review the modifications
made to .am and .ac files for modifying the build due to
adding/removing files? Especially when those modifications are mixed
with the new / removed files, and the code that uses those new/removed
files?

-Gedare