Git Cleanup and Unfreezing

Mon Aug 6 17:24:58 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 12:07 PM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am 06.08.2012 19:00, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> On 08/06/2012 06:37 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The general consensus has been to remove the generated
>>> files from the repo.
>> Whose decision? Please give the each individual's names.
> I have clearly voted to revert the commits in question, since the
> rational behind adding the generated files to GIT is questionable to me
> and needs discussion (which did not yet occur).
>
> Thomas Doerfler.
>
>>> I am about to do a backup of the repo and Gedare has offered
>>> to do the git work. I really appreciate him offering to do this
>>> as OAR is in the middle of an office update which includes
>>> new paint and carpet.  Getting things cleared out to be ready
>>> has been very disruptive the past two weeks.
>>>
>>> Hopefully controversial patches will
>> I am not willing to tolerate this step - A step I consider to be
>> technically silly and driven by lack of expertise and understanding of
>> the this "consensing annonymous crowd".
>>
>> Expect me to take radical consquences to in protect to your actions.
> What does this exactly mean? My limited English interprets this as
> hostile, which I do not expect in this community.
Ralf.. you know that there is an expectation of community discussion
and consensus for anything that is large, has visible impact on users,
or vaguely controversial.

And I agree with Thomas. You words are hostile. Adding the generated
files to git was more than a simple technical decision you could make
in a vacuum. It impacted documentation, end user and server disk space,
automated build scripts, server and end user network bandwidth, etc.
Questions about the git repo size impact each time an autotools update
occurred were never asked nor analysed.

I personally worry that you don't know when something should be
discussed. RTEMS is not any single person's personal playground.
Open discussion and consensus are critical.