Source Code Beautifier for C

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Dec 4 12:21:20 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 10:42 AM, Peter Dufault wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2012, at 23:51 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> Why are you proposing an exotic tool?
>>
>> It's far from being a well established standard nor is it sufficiently
>> stable.
> I've been using uncrustify since 2007.  I think it works extremely well.  The few bugs I've found have been fixed quickly.

Nice for you - Red Hat, CentOS, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian and Sebastian
(otherwise he would not point to git) apparently think otherwise ;)

Anyway, I think, I didn't communicate my point:

Before recommending a tool to achieve a task, we need to agree on the
task (coding standards). The tool to be used is arbitrary.

That said, coding standards are a trouble spot of its own. Reaching
consensus usually is likely to be a long and winding road (Ask 10 coders
and you will likely receive 15 different answers about what to consider
good coding style) or ends up in an act of dictatorial violence.

Therefore, instead of adopting an arbitrary tools' arbitrary coding
style, I'd recommend to chose a well established coding style (BSD,
Linux-Kernel, GNU or similar) and then let people provide configurations
for "code-formatters".

Ralf