Coding Style for RTEMS

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Dec 4 18:31:32 UTC 2012

While I'm not so sure that having two coding styles is a great idea, I
think it will be easiest to maintain the existing "RTEMS Style" in the
score. I'd be on-board with adopting the freebsd style guide to fit RTEMS,
I think that a codified set of rules will be nice to have. Joel had an
Asciidoc floating around that described the RTEMS Style, but it wasn't
complete.

Some of the BSD rules won't make sense in RTEMS, and some will need to be
modified to fit, e.g. "use chains" instead of "use queues", and the API
visibility rules.

The RTEMS Style may not be standard, but I don't think it would be hard to
codify to apply to all of RTEMS.  Perhaps adopting BSD rules where the
RTEMS style is "silent" could help there, but there are conflicts between
the BSD and RTEMS style, so merging the two would not be clean.

Rules that conflict explicitly between BSD and RTEMS style include:
* use of tabs
* no space after ( and before ) in if/for/etc statements
* variable declaration name alignment

Points where RTEMS style implicitly conflicts with BSD include:
* avoid typedefs
* \ aligned to the far right
* function type on line before function name
* variable declarations sorted by size and alphabet

It might also be nice to define rules about assembly, both inline and in .S
files.

-Gedare

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Sebastian Huber <