GCI Task review: breaking up long lines

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Dec 5 06:25:54 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 06:08 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Code is still printed and unless you enjoy small fonts and reviewing printouts in landscape mode, it is a reasonable requirement.
>
> One could technically write code with no line breaks at all but that would be unpleasant. :-)
Provided what you write below, it's what you really should do.

> FWIW I am on an Open Group effort and all code examples, prototypes, etc in the document have to be less than about 76 columns to print as expected in the standard. 80 is generally a good for when printing.
sigh, nowadays, probably all printing SW can handle this as part of the
printing preparation process.

> I will not back off this requirement as it has nothing to do with cards and VT100s.

Like I said before, all this stylishness efforts do is to cause bad
blood and is likely to end up with dictatorial decisions.

To me, code readability and maintainability are more valuable than
stylishness.

Ralf