GCC considers to drop i386

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Dec 13 04:30:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to pass on this to the RTEMS community:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-12/msg00079.html

Executive summary: It has been proposed to GCC to drop the i386 CPU and
to switch to i486 as minimal required CPU for the ix86-architecture.

As RTEMS seems to be one of the last remaining dinosaurs, who is trying
to support the i386, this would significantly impact RTEMS and its
toolchains.

I'd therefore ask all RTEMS users, who might have something substantial
to say or have a strong opinion on this topic (e.g. because their works
are really using i386s), to reply to the original thread on the GCC list.

Otherwise, the i386 is likely gone very soon - If you are using it speak
up *now*. This likely your last chance!

Sorry for being a little dramatic, but I feel it's inevitable.

Thanks in advance.

Ralf