Source Code Beautifier for C

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Dec 4 04:51:36 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 09:37 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently tested the Uncrustify source code beautifier.  It looks
> pretty promising.
>
> http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Why are you proposing an exotic tool?

It's far from being a well established standard nor is it sufficiently
stable.

Debian has version 0.56, Fedora has version 0.58, RHEL/CentOS and
openSUSE do not ship it at all, Ubuntu has it in it quantal.

> If you try it out please use the latest Git master since it contains
> some bug fixes that are not in the latest release.

Exactly, this tool is immature and is not even close to be well
established and common.

Demanding people to install a bleeding edge version from git is
non-workable.

> We can use this tool to format files before a big change.  The procedure
> would be to format the source code, make sure that the generated binary
> code is the same and then commit this.  Later we can do the actual
> functional changes.

If you want a code-formatter, RTEMS would be better off to
1. Develope or adapt a coding-standard
and then
2. Develope rules to implement a rule set implement this coding-standard
for well estabished tools.

Ralf