Coding Style for RTEMS

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Dec 4 17:50:16 UTC 2012

Hello,

we need a formal coding style for RTEMS since otherwise it is very hard
for newcomers to do things right.  My first question to this topic is this:

Do we want to use two coding styles? One for the score (cpukit/{score,
rtems, posix, sapi}) and one for other parts (like shell, test suite,
BSPs, etc.).

The score has a consistent coding style.  Here we need only a good
description.  The bad thing of the score coding style is that it is
somewhat special and not in widespread use outside of RTEMS.

Other parts in RTEMS have no consistent coding style.  I suggest to use
a well established coding style for these and enforce it for new files.
Since we already use large parts of BSD (old and new network stack, USB
stack, ATA stack) this is a natural choice.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=style&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html

Another one is the Linux coding style.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

For the GNU style let me quote the document above:

"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture."

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de