GCI Task review: breaking up long lines

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Dec 5 06:19:28 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 05:39 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>> When not carefully done, limiting line lengths to 80 chars is reducing
>> code readability and maintainability, and is likely to break code.
>>

> I only use text terminals and text based editors so an 80 character
> line length or close to it is important to me.
Physical 80 char terminals? IIRC, even vt2/vt3xxs (late 1980s) had
supported more than 80 chars per line.

> And no I never used punch cards although looking at me you might think
> I did. :)
Well, my first encounter with computers was programming with a variant
of punch cards, which you didn't punch, but mark bits with a pencil
(German "Strichkarten", no idea what the English translation could be).

Later, I actually could avoid using real punch cards (and punchers) as
part of a Fortran programming course ;)

Ralf