Google Code In Patches

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Dec 10 12:14:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Ralf Corsepius
<ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 09:05 AM, Thomas Dörfler wrote:
>
>> The GCI program tries to guide young students to open source projects.
>> Nobody can expect them to be perfect workers, so they need encouragement
>> even during critique.
>

> IMO, it therefore would be better, if such GCI-works would be submitted by
> the supervisor/mentor/tutor, after the program is finished and not "on the
> fly", by the student while working on the program.

I agree, but the timeline makes this a little hard, and the breadth of
these documentation fixes is wide enough that I suspect in one month
none of these patches would apply cleanly.

Anyway, we aren't requiring the students to subscribe to the
rtems-devel (or rtems-users) mailing list. They post the patch to the
GCI interface, and we give our feedback there. Mostly we are trying to
ensure they provide a patch that applies against the master and
follows the guidelines stated in the task descriptions. Where those
guidelines are ambiguous or misstated is where we are seeing most of
the issues when the patches hit the list. The mentors are supposed to
either forward the patch to rtems-devel after this review, or commit
it. I've taken the stance of commit the doxygen changes now and fix
problems later.

-Gedare