.gitignore files branch

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Feb 2 05:42:31 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 01:50 AM, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 2/02/12 4:25 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> With some appreciated guidance along with trial and error,
>> I have managed to create a branch on my personal repo
>> called gitignore which should add the minimal number
>> of .gitnore files (3) and delete the .cvsignore files.
>>
>> .gitignore - covers most of autotools generated files\
>>
>> contrib/.gitignore - adds INSTALL for this sub-tree
>> since there is an INSTALL at the top of the tree.
>>
>> c/src/lib/libbsp/.gitignore - adds bspopts.h.in for BSPs
>> since these shouldn't appear anywhere above here.
>>
>> If I am understanding correctly, my personal repo
>> is at git://git.rtems.org/joel/rtems.git.
>>
>> You can view the branch at
>> http://git.rtems.org/joel/rtems.git/log/?h=gitignore
>>
>> It is only two commits.
>>
>> Is it OK to push to the master upstream repo?
>>

> It looks fine to me. I did an analysis of all the .cvsignore files and
> extracted the list of files present and the only additions are related
> to running configure in the source tree which is something we do not allow.
>
> Can '*~' be added for emacs backup files ?

No. User-specific exclusion patterns should go into a user-specific
setup and not be added to the global configuration, because they reflect
an individual users's use-case and do not reflect a source-tree's
technical requirements/needs.

c.f. the ~/.gitconfig section in "git --help ignore"

An alternative to this is to work with local branches, which contain
customized .gitignores

Ralf