Commit messages

Tue Feb 21 15:33:49 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 09:05 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 06:54 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>   wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I think we should write down (or copy from somewhere else) some standard for
>>> the commit messages.  How to format it and what to put in it.  Maybe also
>>> some standard phrases.
>>>
>> This thread got hijacked. Anyone care to comment on standardizing
>> commit messages, or to say what they have been doing in practice?
> Common practice with RTEMS CVS had been
>
> - One ChangeLog file per directory containing a "configure.ac"
>
> This matches with GCC/gdb/binutils/newlib and many other GNU project's
> conventions.
>
> (For historical reasons, there were some exceptions from this rule in
> RTEMS CVS).

FWIW my personal ChangeLog entries have been written
with the aid of the script rtems-testing/merge-helpers/mkChangeLogList
which follows what Ralf describes with one addition. If there is a PR
associated with the change, it should be noted in the line above the
file name and descriptions as:

\tPR nnnn/category

It also notes which files were added and deleted and has standard
verbage for that case.