Commit history in master repository

Daniel Hellstrom daniel at gaisler.com
Fri Feb 3 10:20:51 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 08:58 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if we look at the commit history here:
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/log/
>
> we see that some of our commits show up twice, e.g. "PR 1962/bsps - MVME162 Console Corrections and Improvements".  We also have these merge commit messages.   I think that it is better (please note
> that I am a Git novice) to use a rebase instead of a merge before we push changes upstream into the master branch.

If I understood the problem correctly, I agree with you. That has come up for discussion a couple of times here at Gaisler as well when converting from SVN to GIT, there is a simple solution:
1. never work in master branch!  This means you never have conflict in master.
2. before pushing upstreams do:
   A. update master by fetching from server
   B. rebase working branch against newly updated master
   C. push working branch to server master: git push origin work:master

Hope it helps someone :)

Daniel