GIT Status Report

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Feb 7 17:37:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Ralf Corsepius
<ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 12:11 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>> This has been and will continue to be a learning experience for us all.
>> But we must all remember that we work in a fast moving field and that
>> learning new tools and improving our work processes is something we
>> must do and should embrace.
>

> Could somebody please explain why "GIT Access for contributors" is designed
> the way it is?

Hi! I gathered notes from a few sources (see links at the bottom of
that page, and also from notes Joel sent me) and wrote the suggested
procedures.

We are all learning, but this setup is a blend of the centralized
workflow (see http://progit.org/book/ch5-1.html ) that we had
previously with CVS and the integration-manager workflow. This
workflow (1) protects the central repository, since developers should
push first to their personal repositories before merging, and (2)
allows us to take advantage of distributed development by enabling us
to push experimental branches to our personal repos for other
developers to pull and try out.

> This is unlike anything I've used git before and seems unnecessarily
> complicated and error prone to me.

If specific aspects of this workflow are complicated or error prone
please identify them so we can simplify or correct them before errors
happen. This is an ongoing and evolving process for all of us, and we
should voice and address complaints sooner rather than later.

-Gedare