Gsoc 2012 project

Wed Feb 8 22:03:24 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 08:34 AM, yangwei weiyang wrote:
> Hi all:
>     From the mail of Joel I know that the Google summer of code 2012
> is going to start and RTEMS will be absolutely a member of
> organizations. There are lots of projects i am interested in from the
> Wiki open project section. The most favorite one for me is "Bus Space
> API". So i want to know as much information as possible.
>     First i have read "Bus Space API" section carefully at the Wiki,
> And also know some basic backgroud through the IRC log. The bus_space
> API is originally from NetBSD, its goal is to allow a single driver
> source file to manipulate a set of devices on different system
> architectures, and to allow a single driver object file to manipulate
> a set of devices on multiple bus types on a single architecture. It is
> implemented in the BSP layer and the architecture layer, that  means
> different architecture and machine must implement its own bus space
> type and
> functions. But the goal of  "Bus Space API" project is to easing the
> ports of BSD drivers to RTEMS, so in order to realize its goal, should
> we port bus_space API to RTEMS BSP layer and architecture layer or
> adapt the bus_space API in the RTEMS score which make BSP layer and
> architecture layer unchanged or changed minimum?
>     So i want to know more information about this project, are there
> some protential mentors to help me?
This is indeed an important project. Unfortunately, after discussing it
with another
core developer, we think it may be beyond a GSOC project.

First, it requires deep knowledge across RTEMS, boards, target
architectures, etc.
We are afraid that by the time we mentored you enough to solve the problem,
(1) we could have implemented it and (2) the summer would be over. :)

Another factor is that a couple of the core developers are currently
supposed to be funded to do this as soon as they finish up another project.
Based on the schedule, they should be nearly finished before the GSOC
students accepted are announced. They are only committed to implementing
the BSP/target side of this for a couple of architectures.

This leaves you the option of proposing to implement this for the remaining
architectures. But it also puts you down stream of another schedule which is
a risk.

I wouldn't want you to be at risk of even starting on time. Is there another
project you would like to do?

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985