Removing rtems/contrib/crossrpms

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Feb 17 16:48:23 UTC 2012

On 02/17/2012 05:08 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Ralf Corsepius
> <ralf.corsepius at rtems.org>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am going to remove the contrib/crossrpms subdirectory from the
>> rtems source-tree into a separate git repository
>> git://git.rtems.org/data/git/rtems-crossrpms.git.
>>
> Does this mean that the patches necessary for users/developers to
> build their own tools will no longer be found in the RTEMS
> repository?
Correct.

> I'm not sure that I like this change.
Well, crossrpms had only been part of the RTEMS source tree for
historical reasons, because it was "doable" (I had write access to
rtems-CVS, but could not implement a separate repository) and
convienient when crossrpms were introduced.

In reality, crossrpms (Like everything in contrib/) is not connected to
the actual RTEMS sources at all.

 > When the patches are located in
> the RTEMS repo it is trivial to figure out how to build tools that
> will work for the particular version/snapshot of RTEMS that is being
> used. Perhaps this is a non-issue for most, but I have on occasion
> had to re-build tools for an out-of-sync RTEMS.
What shall I say?

The scenario you describe is just a random co-incidence. The toolchains
actually follow their own release cycles.

Ralf