RFC: Rename existing ChangeLogs

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Feb 20 17:47:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Ralf Corsepius
<ralf.corsepius at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 05:39 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that ChangeLogs are not being updated,
>
> .. a fact I consider to be a serious regression, which needs to be reverted.
>
> ... ATM, you do not see what has changed without digging deeply into git.

I re-read the conversation we previously had [1] on this topic. I
guess the issue is not settled. I'm not clear about who will actually
use ChangeLog that would not be able to use git to find out "what
changed?".  To me, the ChangeLog files seem to be artifacts that we
should put in a museum.

[1] http://www.rtems.org/pipermail/rtems-devel/2012-January/000123.html

>> leaving them
>> in place is potentially confusing.
>
> That's an utter understatement. The current state is unusable.
>

>> I have already had one user
>> ask privately why a change wasn't listed in it.
>

>> I propose we rename them. Possible destination names:
>>
>> ChangeLog-pregit
>> ChangeLog-cvs
>> ChangeLog-pre2012
>>
>> Comments?
>>
> I propose to resume the old conventions of manually writing ChangeLogs.

As long we abandon ChangeLogs entirely then I'm in favor of renaming
the existing ones to ChangeLog-cvs. Would it be possible to name them
.ChangeLog-cvs so they hide? :) The -cvs appendage properly captures
the point of cutting them off. Using dates is not a good idea
(imprecision). If we decide to keep ChangeLogs then we need to figure
out how to merge new entries into the existing ChangeLog files.

If anyone feels strongly about maintaining ChangeLogs they should make
a cogent argument more than just "because it is GNU style and we have
always done it this way".  By the way, I think an automatic approach
could work using a post-receive hook and whatever options are used to
get the email subject should work to create a ChangeLog description;
beyond that would be a lot of scripting to find the
new/deleted/modified files and update the appropriate ChangeLogs. But
I don't care to maintain ChangeLogs, so I am not interested in trying
to write such a script.