Commit messages

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Jan 24 15:32:42 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 10:53 AM, Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GIT has separate means to collect and maintain the information, which
> changes are part of a patch. So this mechanical function of the
> ChangeLogs is no longer needed. Nevertheless it is useful to see, which
> patches were applied to the files, who applied them and which files were
> also changed.
>
> Those people having read access to the GIT Repo can query this
> information online, but it may be sensible to collect that information
> at one place for documentation purposes. And this is (IMHO) he main
> purpose of a ChangeLog.
>
> So wouldn't it be possibe to generate the Changelogs (maybe in a
> slightly modified format) automatically now, based on the commit
> messages and other info in the GIT repository?

Then you likely are able to explain
* how you want to _replace_ bogus changelog entries,
* how you want to cope handle rtems CVS history.
* how you want to handle changelogs of commits the git-commiter received
from somebody else.

> It seems other projects also went that way.
Please take into consideration, git currently is an _overrated hype_, so
you'll likely find many people, who are following it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to using git, but I am not naive
enough to blindly follow this hype.

Ralf

P.S: Chris, Joel, when will RTEMS git finally be fully functional?
Please provide an ETA.