rtems-libbsd: Status Update

Mon Jul 9 20:08:34 UTC 2012

Hi

Jennifer had a good day and everything should be committed
in the morning. Here is the current status:

+ BSD stack initializes itself
+ Intel EtherExpress Pro (e.g. fxp) driver correctly completes
    attaching itself and installs its interrupt handler
+ system returns and goes quiescent

This means that a large number of things are working including

+ x86 bus space support
+ device hints using static_hints
+ BSD initialization via "constructors"
+ BSD kernel objects
+ BSD resources

It is likely that all PCI NIC drivers are at the same status point
but we have not tested to confirm that.

At this point, "kernel space" appears to be completely
initialized. There are likely issues to resolve once
we manage to ping the target and get an interrupt but
we can begin to reconstruct the "user space" side.
Jennifer and I discussed switching the driver to polled mode
if there are any issues with interrupts. We can then work
on the user space issues which are critical.

The next step is to do the interface configuration including
IP address, gateway, and routes.  Our plan is to reuse the
core of the current TCP/IP stack initialization. Although this
may not be the desired long term solution, the code provides
a working starting point and we use that style configuration
to bring up the current stack. It will provide a nice transition.

My plan is to complete the initialization using the current
bsdnet configuration scheme and then focus on the
network demos and supporting layers like dhcp, dns client,
etc. If one of those is to be updated, that is a discrete task.
We are trying to take the shortest path to functional.

--
Joel Sherrill, Ph.D.             Director of Research&   Development
     Support Available             (256) 722-9985