rtems-libbsd: Thoughts on Refactoring linkcmds.base

Kevin Polulak kpolulak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:22:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> A short term solution is to just create the linkcmds.rwrtems and
> linkcmds.rortems and use them in selected BSPs.

I'm confused. What are these files for? What's rwrtems and rortems?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com>wrote:

> + Some architectures get an underscore prepended. So
>     symbols in the linkcmds get one more _ in front than
>     you see in C.
> + The case of the sparc where there was an end text
>     type symbol which really marked the end of where
>     constant stuff like .text, rodata, .ctors tables, etc. was.
> + Where are the BSD sections located (e.g. >ram)
>
> I think the first can be dealt with by either having two
> versions of the linkcmds.xxx or having both styles of
> symbols. We have had both in the past especially for
> BSPs which transitioned from a.out to coff to elf.

I wasn't aware that the prepending of underscores was
architecture-dependent. I thought that was just a GNU ld thing and that it *
always* prepended one?

Having two versions of linkcmds.xxx would be the most clean. That way the
symbol tables aren't being polluted with useless symbols. However, if just
defining both symbol and _symbol in a single file is what's been used in
the past, then that's probably the way to go. For me, consistency always
trumps all.

The second is a bit harder for me to see a general solution.

I'm not sure why this would be an issue. Are you referring to the
_endtextand friends symbols? If so, can't they just be moved? I don't
see the
problem with .rodata, or .ctors since I never had to touch them but for
.text I just moved it to where it belonged: at the end of .text.

For the last, follow what Sebastian has done in other linkcmds.base
> where the BSP defines a symbol used there.

Again, not sure what you mean. Do you mean something like what shared SPARC
does with .robsdsets where it gets placed into ram? If so, that's kinda
what I wrote.

--
- Kevin Polulak (soh_cah_toa)
- http://cybercrud.net