Fwd: GCC 4.7.0 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Mar 6 06:55:18 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 07:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 05:11 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> Keyword: _should_ ... compare this to your "short enums" issues.
>>
>> Everything has two sides.
>>

>>> I read this as "wishful thinking outrules reason and practice".
>>
>> You should read this as "it is past time to abandon an obsolete and
>> unmaintained configuration". The EABI for ARM is available in GCC since
>> 2004.
>
> AFAICT, GCC's EABI had been ignored by many people, because it was in poor
> shape for a long time and the only usable EABI compilers had been commercial.

I don't know the history, but the current situation is that the non-EABI
configuration is dead.

> IIRC, it was you, who had called arm-eabi gcc-4.6.x crap? Do you really expect
> it to be better in gcc-4.7.0?

Yes, I complained about GCC 4.6 due to some serious bugs for the ARM and
PowerPC targets (all known to me are now fixed), but this had nothing to do
with EABI vs. non-EABI.

>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-12/msg00692.html
>
> If we adhere to GCC's decision, we need to remove the arm-rtems4.11 toolchains
> and the arm target from RTEMS-4.11 right on the spot.

I would have simply changed arm-rtems4.11 to use the EABI configuration, but it
was decided otherwise and now we have two ARM tool chains.

Phone   : +49 89 18 90 80 79-6
Fax     : +49 89 18 90 80 79-9
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de