Improper Git Summary Messages

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Mar 7 05:49:48 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 04:39 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> Why do you continue to commit improper git summary
> messages in the main RTEMS repository such as
>
> http://git.rtems.org/rtems/commit/?id=ac165341df9ecdb9f3395677dde906b472121a34
 >
> when you never commit such messages in your
> own build system repositories?
>
> http://git.rtems.org/ralf/rtems-buildsys.git/

For the n'th time: I sloppy with this package, because this package has
never been intended to be published and because it's hardly of use to
anybody but me.

That said, I am lazy and do not maintain a "ChangeLog" file and do not
care about commit texts

If you had a closer look, you've noticed most of its commits carry
commit messages reading "New", "Abandoned", "Regenerate".

I guess, I should move this package to a private area, like I have been
doing for several years, such that its commits will not be visible to
you anymore :(

> It is obvious you know how to use git and what the purpose
> of the summary line is.

Joel, please understand that I take this mail of yours as an ad-hominem
attack, which I should better not respond to.

> In spite of the fact that I believe you are doing this to
> be malicious,

Now you are being hostile.

For the n'th time:
* You are complaining about the shortlogs subject lines vc-list emits.
These short logs are technically irrelevant.

* What counts is the ChangeLog files.
The shortlogs of my commits are the result of me using
"git commit -F <changes>", with <changes> being the text I added to
ChangeLogs. This is identical to what I have been using with RTEMS, gcc,
newlib, binutils and gdb commits for many years.

This causes the (long) "logs" to contain the same contents as the
ChangeLogs (no loss of information), but causes the short logs to look
"weired".

Also, they do not look any weirder than the short logs "deluxeinfo" had
produced.

> I am simply politely asking you to do the
> write proper one-line summary messages.
This is definitely not what you are doing here. I feel it's a reflection
of the attitude you have been treating RTEMS in recent times.

I regret and consider it to be my personal fault not having made this a
topic when we met face to face in Nuremberg.

Ralf