Fwd: GCC 4.7.0 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Mar 5 18:00:39 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 05:11 PM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 04:39 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> This configuration is in fact obsolete. Anyone using it should switch to
>>> the EABI configuration as soon as possible.
>>
>> Keyword: _should_ ... compare this to your "short enums" issues.
>
> Everything has two sides.
>

>> I read this as "wishful thinking outrules reason and practice".
>
> You should read this as "it is past time to abandon an obsolete and
> unmaintained configuration". The EABI for ARM is available in GCC since
> 2004.

AFAICT, GCC's EABI had been ignored by many people, because it was in
poor shape for a long time and the only usable EABI compilers had been
commercial.

IIRC, it was you, who had called arm-eabi gcc-4.6.x crap? Do you really
expect it to be better in gcc-4.7.0?

If we adhere to GCC's decision, we need to remove the arm-rtems4.11
toolchains and the arm target from RTEMS-4.11 right on the spot.

Ralf